National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation (NHFDC) set up by the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Government of India, with the an objective of promoting educational and self-employment opportunities for persons with disabilities, is offering scholarship and loan facilities to students with disabilities. Currently, 1500 scholarships are on offer under two schemes as per the details given below:
1. Scholarship scheme under ‘Trust Fund’
- Under this scheme, 1000 scholarships (amounting Rs.50,000/-per year) are awarded to eligible students with disabilities for degree and post graduate level professional and technical courses from recognized institutions in India.
- 30% of these scholarships are reserved for girl students.
- The yearly income of the beneficiary / parent or guardian should not be more than Rs. 3 lakh from all sources.
- Eligible students can apply any time in academic year for scholarship under this scheme. Scholarships are awarded on quarterly basis for the applications received in the preceding quarter.
2. Scholarship scheme under National Fund
- Under this scheme, 500 (amounting to Rs 12000/- per year ) scholarships are awarded to eligible students with disabilities for pursuing higher academic / professional or technical qualification.
- 50% of these scholarships are reserved for girl students.
- The yearly income of the beneficiary / parent or guardian should not be more than Rs. 1.80 lakh from all sources.
The details of the scholarships as well as the ‘Application Form’ is available on the NHFDC website www.nhfdc.nic.in .
Only one scholarship out of the two schemes, is granted to a student. The candidates seeking scholarship should submit an advance copy of the application ‘online’ on www.nhfdc.nic.in as per the schedule. Also, the printed copy of the application form along with the requisite documents duly countersigned and recommended by the Regional Director should be submitted to National Handicapped Finance and Development Corporation (NHFDC), Red Cross Bhavan, Sector 12, Faridabad 121007.
Besides offering scholarships, NHFDC also offers ‘educational loan’ to students with disabilities to meet tuition and other fees, maintenance cost, cost on books and equipment etc for pursuing professional courses. Candidates applying for educational loan can apply directly at NHFDC through its State Channelizing Agency (SCA).